Blog Archives

Syrian Crisis Explained (!)

From WhatsApp

If in case it was all too confusing for you, here’s a summary:

President Assad (who is bad) is a nasty guy who got so nasty his people rebelled and the Rebels (who are good) started winning (hurrah!).

But then some of the rebels turned a bit nasty and are now called Islamic State (who are definitely bad!) while some continued to support democracy (who are still good.)

So the Americans (who are good ) started bombing Islamic State (who are bad ) and giving arms to the Syrian Rebels (who are good ) so they could fight Assad (who is still bad) which was good.

There is a breakaway state in the north run by the Kurds who want to fight IS (which is good) but the Turkish authorities think they are bad, so the U.S. says they are bad while secretly thinking they’re good and giving them guns to fight IS (which is good) but that is another matter.

Getting back to Syria.

So President Putin (who is bad because he invaded Crimea and the Ukraine and killed lots of folks, including that nice Russian man in London with polonium poisoned sushi, has decided to back Assad (who is still bad) by attacking IS (who are also bad ) which is sort of a good thing (!?).

But Putin (still bad) thinks the Syrian Rebels (who are good) are also bad, and so he bombs them too, much to the annoyance of the Americans (who are good) who are busy backing and arming the rebels (who are also good).

Now Iran (who used to be bad, but now they have agreed not to build any nuclear weapons with which to bomb Israel are now good) are going to provide ground troops to support Assad (still bad) as are the Russians (bad) who now have ground troops and aircraft in Syria.

So a Coalition of Assad (still bad) Putin (extra bad) and the Iranians (good, but in a bad sort of way) are going to attack IS (who are bad which is good, but also the Syrian Rebels (who are good) which is bad.

Now the British (obviously good, except that silly anti-Semite who leads the Labor Party, Mr. Corbyn in the corduroy jacket, who is bad) and the Americans (also good) cannot attack Assad (still bad) for fear of upsetting Putin (bad) and Iran (good/bad) and now they have to accept that Assad might not be that bad after all compared to IS (super bad — see Paris, November 2015).

So Assad (bad) is now probably good, being better than IS and, because Putin and Iran are also fighting IS, that may now make them good. America (still good) will find it hard to arm a group of rebels being attacked by the Russians for fear of upsetting Mr. Putin (now good) and that nice mad Ayatollah in Iran (also good?) and so they may be forced to say that the Rebels are now bad, or at the very least abandon them to their fate. This will lead most of them to flee to Turkey and on to Europe or join IS (still the only consistently bad).

To Sunni Muslims an attack by Shia Muslims (Assad and Iran) backed by Russians will be seen as something of a Holy War. Therefore, the ranks of IS will now be seen by the Sunnis as the only Jihadis fighting in the Holy War and hence many Muslims will now see IS as good (duh).

Sunni Muslims will also see the lack of action by Britain and America in support of their Sunni rebel brothers as something of a betrayal (might have a point?) and hence we will be seen as bad.

So now we have America (now bad) and Britain (also bad) providing limited support to Sunni Rebels (bad ) many of whom are looking to IS (good/bad ) for support against Assad (now good) who, along with Iran (also good) and Putin (now, straining credulity, good ) are attempting to retake the country Assad used to run before all this started.

Got it?

NATO Prepares Global War – Russian and Chinese Military on Highest Alert

http://nsnbc.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/nato-prepares-global-war-russian-and-chinese-military-on-highest-alert/

Posted on October 24, 2011 by nsnbc

At the International Security Conference (ISC) in Munich, 2007, Vladimir Putin warned western leaders, that the unprecedented aggressive expansion of NATO has brought the world more close to a third world war than it has ever been before. This stern warning came years before NATO´s aggression against Libya and it´s undeclared war in Syria and Pakistan. Following the recent deployment of US troops to Uganda, and military threats directed against Pakistan, the armed forces of NATO, Russia and China have never been as close to open and all out conflict as today. A recent and sobering report of the Russian Intelligence Service FSB, details the fact that the USA and NATO are currently planning and actively preparing for all out war on all continents. After the recent meeting between Russian P.M. Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Huan Jintao, both Russian and Chinese military forces have been placed on highest alert.             By Dr. Christof Lehmann

The speech of Russian President Vladimir Putin at the 43rd International Security Conference in Munich in 2007, and Putin´s statement, that the aggressive expansionism of NATO has brought the world more close to a third world war than it has ever been before, was sobering in 2007. That an all out conflict has been prevented until now however, is not based on the fact that NATO has changed it´s aggressive policy of military expansionism. Putin´s speech from 2007 was sobering then, and few understood it´s full implications. The developments of recent months, however, are eliciting the urgent need to stop a cycle of aggression that can only be described as megalomaniacs insanity.

Since the middle of September 2011 Russian politicians at Russia´s State Duma began discussing that NATO must significantly reduce it´s military footprint in the former Soviet Republics. By early October, those calls had developed into demands that Russia should assert it´s interests in the former Soviet republics, and especially in the South. Since the discontinuation of the USSR, and NATO´s war on Afghanistan, it has significantly increased it´s military footprint in Russian and Chinese neighbor states such as Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and not least in Georgia. The fact that Russian and NATO troops came into open armed conflict when Georgi attacked Ossetia, and not least the US backed armed insurgency in Chechnya are eliciting the fact that Russia is increasingly threatened. A clear response by Vladimir Putin to the State Duma´s demands for policy changes came on 3 October, after Putin had received the sobering Intelligence Report, that warned of US and NATO preparations of a global war. On 3 October, only days before his meeting with Jintao, Putin announced his plans for a Eurasian Union.

When Russia´s Prime Minister, and most likely winner of the next presidential elections, Vladimir Putin, met Chinese President Huan Jintao on 12 October, the official narrative elicited mutually beneficial friendship and treaties, trade and other relations. The most important reason for the sudden visit however, did not make the headlines. Before leaving for Beijing, Putin received a sobering report from the Russian Intelligence Service FSB. The FSB report to Vladimir Putin supported reports from the Chinese Intelligence Service and China´s Ministry of State Security, MSS, which were among other based on intelligence received via the former Blackwater operative Brian Underwood. Underwood is currently held in the US on charges of espionage. According to reliable sources, China has attempted to warn Russia of US and NATO plans to initiate a global armed conflict. This conflict has reportedly moved from the drawing board to an activation stage.

According to both Chinese and Russian Intelligence Sources, the US and NATO plans include among other, the deliberate implosion of the US- and EU Economies, destroying the worlds financial systems, and the launching of a massive conventional war throughout North America, Africa and Asia, as well as the Middle East. The war plans include the release of biological warfare agents designed to kill millions if not billions of people. The NATO strategists rely on their ability to sue for peace when the coming conflict is at it´s highest, to call for the establishment of a “New World Order” under the pretext of preventing the destruction of the planet and civilization as we know it. One of the preparatory stages was reportedly doctrinal and strategy changes wherein the training of it´s soldiers shifted from counter insurgency to more conventional warfare and tank on tank battles.

The FSB Report states that the activation of the conflict is to be expected sooner rather than later, since the US and NATO have pre-deployed 2000  M1 Abrams Battle Tanks in Iraq, and another 2000 in Afghanistan. In the area between the Middle East and Asia, tens of thousands of other armored vehicles are deployed. The FSB evaluates the situation as so threatening, that it explains in it´s report, that the only thing needed to activate the war plan is a call for the full mobilization of 1.5 Million US Reserves. Their activation can come at moments notice, and needs no further authorization by the US Congress.

The US plans for global dominance date back to as early as 1998 and the “Project for a New American Century, PNAC. One of the think tanks members, former US Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, warned in September 2001, that if the war fails to significantly alter the worlds geopolitical map, the US will not achieve it´s aim to become the worlds only ad dominant superpower.

The war on Iraq was not only based on co-opting it´s oil. One of the main driving factors behind the decision to topple the Iraqi government was, that Iraq had begun trading the nations oil in Euro and not US-Dollar. The driving factors behind the aggression against Libya was the fact that Libya blocked for the development of the Mediterranean Alliance, lobbied for the establishment of a Pan-African, gold backed currency, and that it had supported the now ousted Laurent Gbagbo in Ivory Coast in his attempt to get Ivory Coast out of the CFA agreement. The CFA is a French Controlled currency used in eight African states, and France´s control over the CFA is one of the major supports of the French economy. The only country that so far has succeeded to withdraw from the US Dollar is Iran, that ended all trade of oil in US-Dollars in 2009. One of the reasons why Iran has not yet been attacked may be the fact that it has acquired a number of X-55 missiles with nuclear capabilities from the Ukraine. Russian Intelligence analysts how ever, generally perceive it as extremely unlikely that Ukraine did not deliver the nuclear warheads together with the missiles. Another reason why Iran has not yet been attacked may be it´s current support of NATO´s narrative of a popular revolution in Libya. Why precisely Iran is playing this dangerous diplomatic game is puzzling many analysts. It may be that Iran, knowing about the US and NATO war plans, would perceive the tying down of NATO forces in Northern Africa as a short lived insurance policy that can buy much needed time to prepare a defense against an anticipated attack.

Both China and Russia are outraged by NATO´s unprecedented abuse of UNSC Resolution 1973 and NATO´s war on Libya. Both the Russian and the Chinese veto of a resolution on Syria must be seen within the context of Russian and Chinese awareness of US and NATO plans to initiate a global war. The fact that the highest US Representative to the UN Susan Rice left the Security Counsel meeting in protest after the veto is not a sign of diplomacy being the modus for solving problems of global security either.

Recently the government of India agreed to let 20.000 Chinese troops to enter the Indian administrated part of Kashmirto counter the expected US and NATO aggression. Afghanistan has is signaling that it would be fighting along side Pakistan in case Pakistan would be attacked by the USA or NATO. Both China, Russia, Pakistan and Afghanistan discussed pressing security matters at the Shanghai Cooperation Organization on 15 October. Most likely, the US and NATO preparations of an all out confrontation with Russia and China have been a central point of consideration in meetings behind the scenes. When the Russian Military was ordered on high alert, Vladimir Putin reportedly instructed high ranking military personnel to “Prepare for Armageddon“.

If the clock was 5 minutes to midnight in 2007, what time is it today. And will the people live up to their responsibility as citizens, to stop criminal governments. Failure to do so, may be failure to save ones own life and civilization as we know it.It is in deed high time that peace loving people throughout the world begin protesting against the mass murder that is planned against them, and support initiatives like those of former Malaysian Prime Minister Dr. Tun Mahatir Muhammad, to criminalize war.

Christof Lehmann


Response to comments on: Kasab’s Birthday Gift

In response to my write up: Kasab’s Birthday Gift to US- Mumbai Blasts,  in a discussion group which also appeared on this blog on July 14,  one Mr. Chauhan, supposedly a Major General representing <Sainik Sangh> made several incidery remarks. Here I reproduce his comments with my responses. (His comments are in bold. My response start with >>>. are in italics and in navy blue color.)

Gaurang G. Vaishnav

Those who think BJP is the salvation are nothing but bania brahmin caucus in another demoniac form

 >>> Who said anything about BJP? Your prejudice starts with your fist sentence. Can you prove with figures that BJP= Bania+Brahmin? Are Advani, Bangaru Laxman, V. Naidu, Modi, Rajnath Singh, etc., Bania/Brahmin? How would you define demonic?

What does Modi know about running a modern State  He may have delivered for the fat profiteers and Hindu Jews which doesn’t make a State 

>>> You must be living in la-la land to make such a stupendous statement. Of course, you have not lived in Gujarat so your ignorance can be forgiven. What fits your definition of modern state? Bihar, UP, Orissa? 

What does BJP know about nationalism which is not obscurantism and building temples  ? The masses are in grip of renegade capitalism  which must be replaced by nationlism not Jews .

>>> I do not know why you keep harping on BJP when I have suggested that Congress be thrown out? Capitalism is an economic system, nationalism is not. Capitalism can be replaced with socialism, communism, etc. but not with nationalism. Are you aware that BJP  believes in Integral Humanism as an economic system? Do you even know what it mans and who propounded that concept? Please Google and study it. Suffice is to say that capitalism, socialism, communism, etc. have inherent weaknesses because they are not built around needs of human beings. Integral Humanism aspires to build economic system keeping human beings at the center.

 Does BJP know about nationalism? Who has stood for total integration of Kashmir with Bharat? Who has stood for uniform Civil Code? Who has maintained that there are hundreds of national heroes (who have been ignored by design) of freedom struggle besides Nehrus and Gandhis? Who had the guts to conduct nuclear explosion and stand up against mighty USA?

What a small vision hanging of Afzal Will this deliver the nation from every day shame? Just diversion

>>> Hanging one individual will not solve all problems, but then you can make that argument for any step that the government takes or does not take. Afzal Guru is a convicted terrorist. Terrorism is meant to sap a society of its confidence and lead it into submission. Keeping Afzal and Kasab alive despite court orders is hastening that process of submission. Therefore, it is not a small vision, but an effective prescription for one of or serious national maladies, i.e., the feeling of helplessness against abject terror. 

 In any case, unless you are against the rule of law, or have some personal affinity for Afzal, you would not question hanging of Afzal. 

Afzal is already a martyr with his poeple MANY MORE ARE READY TO FOLLOW HIM.

>>> Osama bin Laden was a hero too to millions of Muslims in Pakistan, Yemen, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Malaysia, USA, UK, Bharat, etc. Where is he now? He was gunned down like a rabid street dog and is at the bottom of an ocean. Those who are ready to follow him will meet the same fate or worse. It is only a matter of time before present rulers in Bharat are replaced with a government that will not tolerate and mollycoddle terrorists- mind you, I am not saying BJP, it could be any party or combination of parties that will come to power and take the initiative.’ Then so called martyrs will be sent for a meeting with their creator because of the pressure that will build up from the suffering populace. Congress can do the same and win people’s hearts but to do that it has to first purge itself of its entire leadership which is anti-Bharat, anti-Hindu, pro-Muslim and corrupt to the core.

Is Modi ready to field his in retaliation?

>>> Why do you pick on Modi? When I am raising issue of fighting terrorism and asking that guilty be hanged, which is a central government issue, how does Modi figure in the discussion? Mr. Modi has proved his credentials by catching would be terrorists before they could inflict harm on the innocent. Compare Gujarat with Maharashtra and see the difference in number of terrorist attacks. Ishrat Jahan and Soharabuddin would have been garlanded and given ministerial posts, had they been in a Congress ruled state.

 Modi does not have to retaliate because he is proactive. he does not weigh his actions against how a particular community would feel or vote before he takes a step that he feels is in the interest of Gujarat and the nation.

Why cant BJP send out sallies  in return.

>>> Why is it BJP’s burden to send out “sallies” (I do not know what this word means but I assume you mean retaliating force”)?  Who is in power? Congress or BJP? Suppose, BJP were to take up your suggestion, you will be the first one to blame it as a Hindu terrorist party supported by Jews.

The French President  visited Kabul the other day and gloried the role of NATO in foighting terrorism. The next day ficew French soldiers were killed. BJP AND ITS BANIAS  Learn from PASHTUNS! 

>>> I will take your argument and turn it on its head to show its hollowness.. BJP or Congress can take the killing of the French soldiers to man that any action against terrorists would mean killing of Bharatiya soldiers and civilians. So, it would be better not to act.

 Further, we have a history of brave men and women, who have given their lives and fought on the battlefield within the bounds of Dharma. We do not need to learn from Pashtuns or terrorists who are nothing but modern day asuras and  rakshasas.

PEOPLE ARE NOW GETTING WISE AS TO WHO  SIT SNUGLY MAKING MONEY AND FIELD OTHERS TO FIGHT . GERMANS WERE RIGHT ABOUT THE JEWS WE HAVE SO MANY VARIETY OF THESE !

>>> Apparently you are a big fan of Hitler. That should preclude you automatically from this discussion because this group is for people who believe in democratic norms and  meaningful discussion.  

 You are right about people getting wise. They now know that it is the Congress and UPA that sit smugly and make billions through Commonwealth Games, 2G, Adarsh Housing Society and multitude of scams. Kalmadis, Rajas, Kanimozhis, Marans, Chidambarams, etc. are the glaring example of this rot and they do not belong to BJP. People are wizened to the fact that while these Congress demons are looting the nation, they feed the common man to the wolves, i.e., terrorists.

Mumbai walas are fools They listen  to perverted politicians such as the Home Minister and  do not demand his dismissal .

>>> In past, Mumbaiwalas have  taken scalps of their Chief Ministers and they will do it again. Have you watched 2008 film, “Wednesday” with Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher in lead roles? There is a telling dialogue where Naseeruddin Shah, the common man says: “we are resilient, not by choice but by force because we have to go out next day and earn our livelihood.”  That is exactly why people go on with their routine even after the bomb blasts. But once this reaches a flash point, all bets will be off.

 The same happened last time and the sam w will happen again!

>>> So, what you as an individual will do about it to change the course? That “same will happen again” is a given, but the end results may not be same. Even a goat gets up on its hind legs when totally cornered or its kids are threatened. Once the patience runs out, events take unpredictable course and no politician or police force would be able to contain them. People in Egypt, Yemen, Libya, Syria, Tunisia, etc. are much more suppressed than people in Bharat. yet, they came to a point where they shed their fears and either brought down, or are in process of doing so, sitting government/dictator.

People get the rulers they deserve .

>>> That is a good dose of opium. You may be OK with the Government that you have gotten, millions of  Bharatiyas and I are not.

HINDU history is replete      

>>> A jaundiced person can see nothing but yellow. Perhaps, you have had no chance to read real history of Bharat. Like many others you might have been taught Macaulayian and Nehruvian history. This is a subject of entirely another discussion.

 Our history is of people who have wished well for the entire humanity, kings who gave away their kingdoms for upholding Dharma, soldiers who obeyed all dharmic rules of warfare even when fighting against those who had no concept of Dharma. Ours is the history of Rama and Krishna, of Arjun and Abhimanyu, of Mahaveer and Buddha, of king Puru and Pruthviraj, of Shankaracharya and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, of Chankaya and Chandragupt, of Mirabai and Narsinh Mehta, Of Kabir and  Thiruvalluvar, of Shivaji and Rana Pratap, of Nanak and Guru Govind Singh, of Maharani Laxmibai and Tatya Tope, of Bhagat Singh and Madan Lal Dhingra, of Khudiram Bose and Jatin Das, of  Shyamji Krishna Varma and madam Cama, of Veer Savarkar and Subhashchandra Bose, of Lala Lajpatrai and Chapekar brothers, of Ramakrishna, Vivekanand and Aurbindo, of Sardar Patel and Gandhiji. This is just a sampling. Remember,  our is not the history of Jawaharlal, Indira, Sanjay, Rajiv, Sonia, Rahul and Priyanka. They are an aberration and a blot on our history.

chauhan, maj general   <gs@sainiksangh.org>

>>> With an organization named Sainik Sangh, last name  Chauhan and a title like Major General, one would expect from you valor, courage, indefatigable  confidence and deep love for motherland. One would expect you to lead from the front and not discourage those who are fighting. One should be excused if he/she is led to believe that the organization as well as your name and title are phony.

 

 Finally, you may not realize but Internet etiquette dictates that all CAPS or all bold text be not used in any correspondence. All bold is akin to shouting. I am sure that you wanted to discuss and not shout.

You seem to have pathological hatred for BJP, Modi and Hindus which is abundantly clear from your writing. Your disdain for Jews is a disease that led to Hitler’s massacre and second world war. You may think in narrow terms of Brahmin and Bania, I believe that we are all Hindus, first and last. I will gladly accept the intelligence of Brahmin, courage of Kshatriya, pragmatism of Vaishya and sense of selfless service from Shudra because, according to Purush Sukta, they are all parts of same body. We are all Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaishya and Shudra; our real caste is whatever quality out of these four is predominant in our life at a given time.

 It is the Congress culture to divide the society in the name of caste and religion. Rise above it and join those who have come forward to end the misgovernance rather than standing on the sides and making baseless, derogatory statements.

 Gaurang G. Vaishnav

Defend Muslims, Defend America- NY Times

In the following article, the author holds out the spectre of Muslims not cooperating with the national security agencies, if they felt discriminated against. He did not find any need to advise Muslims to introspect for reasons that have led many Americans to be suspicious of their motives.

Being an Assistant Professor of law he has tried to make a case for Sharia law, etc., but those who have suffered at the hands of Muslims across the globe, very well know that once given a foothold, they would take over the whole country and ruin it with their backward looking, savage, undemocratic mindset. We see what Afghanistan is, what Saudi Arabia is, what Iran is  and what Pakistan is going to be.

It is interesting to note that author has used the term Muslim-American twice, instead of using American-Muslim. This reveals the Islamic thinking where the loyalty is not to the nation but to the religion. The very concept of Darul Islam (or Dar al-Islam) and Dar al-Harb, i.e., “Land of Islam” and “House of war” (Land to be conquered  for Islam) is at the root of this thinking and reason for worldwide misery caused by its followers.

I am not a Republican and am opposed to many of their policies, but I think they are right when it comes to the caution against creeping in of the Sharia law.  Those Americans who mindlessly blabber about freedom of expression and freedom of religion, etc. are naive and do not understand that those principles apply only when everyone respects them. By and large, Muslims do not believe in either of those principles; look around the world where they are in power. They use it as a tool to come to the power. Once they have the reigns in their hand, rest of us, Hindus, Christians, Jews, etc. are going to be Dhimis, second class citizens living at their mercy. Democrats and media outlets like New York Times should smell the coffee and do a service to America by not supporting encroachment by Islam before it is too late.

Gaurang G. Vaishnav

Blog Owner

======================================================================
OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR, New York Times

By AZIZ HUQ

Published: June 19, 2011

WITH an eye toward the 2012 elections, legislators in six states have been debating laws explicitly prohibiting courts from considering or using Sharia law, with 14 more looking at wider bans on “foreign law.” They’re taking a clear cue from Oklahoma’s wildly popular Sharia ban, which voters approved as a state constitutional amendment last year by more than 70 percent.

Related

Such laws are discriminatory and pointless. Civil liberties groups are fighting them in court and calling on state legislators to abandon such bills. But there is an additional reason everyone, including would-be proponents of the laws and the federal government, should oppose them: they pose a significant threat to national security.

To begin with, the bans’ justifications are thin. Despite the worries voiced by candidates in the recent Republican candidates’ debate in New Hampshire, no state, county or municipality is about to realign its laws with religious doctrine, Islamic or otherwise. Nor does any state or federal court today in Oklahoma, or anywhere else, need to enforce a foreign rule repugnant to public policy. Under the legal system’s well-established “choice of law” doctrines, the courts are already unlikely to help out someone who claims their religion allows, say, the subordination or mistreatment of women.

Instead, the bans would deprive Muslims of equal access to the law. A butcher would no longer be able to enforce his contract for halal meat — contracts that, like deals for kosher or other faith-sanctioned foods, are regularly enforced around the country. Nor could a Muslim banker seek damages for violations of a financial instrument certified as “Sharia compliant” since it pays no interest.

Moreover, these bans increase bias among the public by endorsing the idea that Muslims are second-class citizens. They encourage and accelerate both the acceptability of negative views of Muslims and the expression of those negative views by the public and government agencies like the police.

Such indignities arise amid a pattern of growing animus toward American Muslims. Reports of employment discrimination against Muslims to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which declined after a post-9/11 peak, have recently surged. Gallup, Pew and ABC polls confirm a new spike in anti-Muslim views. Most troubling, tallies of hate crimes collected by nongovernmental organizations show the same trend.

In this context, bans like the one in Oklahoma will serve to chill cooperation by the Muslim-American community with counterterrorism efforts. This makes sense: in such an environment, it would be fair for Muslims to pause before, say, passing on a lead to the police, worrying about whether the police would then look at them with suspicion as well.

But the likelihood of such a chill is also supported by four large, random-sample surveys that I conducted with two colleagues, Tom Tyler and Stephen Schulhofer. Our data, collected from Muslims and non-Muslims in New York and London, suggest that the experience and perception of private discrimination have a significant negative effect on cooperation.

This not only affects everyday public safety, but also the interaction necessary to gather information about self-radicalization and domestic efforts to recruit terrorists. After all, it’s simply impossible for the government to gather all that information. For that it must rely on the public, both as a filter and as an aid in interpreting it. If the government lacks strong ties to the Muslim-American community, that kind of filter falls apart.

To prevent the erosion of such support, the Justice Department should better publicize its support for a pending challenge to the Oklahoma amendment. It should also announce that it will challenge similar measures as violations of the First Amendment’s guarantee of freedom of religion. Doing so would not only protect the rights of Muslim-Americans, but also send a signal that they can rely on the federal government’s support.

To be sure, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. has taken steps against anti-Muslim bias, for example by supporting a California schoolteacher’s suit challenging her dismissal for taking time off to make a pilgrimage to Mecca. But these steps are inadequate compared to the scope of public and private discrimination facing Muslim-Americans.

America has been here before. In 1952, Attorney General James P. McGranery filed a legal brief for the plaintiffs in Brown v. Board of Education, in part, he said, out of national security concerns. “Racial discrimination furnishes grist for Communist propaganda mills,” he said, and “raises doubts even among friendly nations as to the intensity of our devotion to the democratic faith.”

McGranery’s insight remains true today. The federal government needs to do more to defend equal access to the law regardless of faith. To do so is not simply to uphold our core values — it is also to work to improve our nation’s security.

Aziz Huq is an assistant professor of law at the University of Chicago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/opinion/20huq.html

 A version of this op-ed appeared in print on June 20, 2011, on page A27 of the New York edition with the headline: Defend Muslims, Defend America.
Hildaraja's Blog

about my reactions and responses to men and affairs

બોઝિલ

EXISTANCE ON THE EARTH IS STILL BOZIL ..

રઝળપાટ

- મારી કલમ ના પગલા

World Hindu Economic Forum

Making Society Prosperous

Suchetausa's Blog

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Guruprasad's Portal

Inspirational, Insightful, Informative..

Aksharnaad.com

Read, Listen, Feel Gujarati.

Ramani's blog

Education Health Hinduism India Lifestyle News Science

Jayshree Merchant

Gujarati Writer & Poet

churumuri

swalpa sihi, swalpa spicy

થીગડું

તૂટી-ફૂટી ગયેલા વિચારો પર કલમ થી માર્યું એક થીગડું.....

Swami Vivekananda

Let noble thoughts come to us from all sides, news too..

Acta Indica › The St Thomas In India History Swindle

Articles on the dubious Saint Thomas in India legend by noted historians, researchers, and journalists

2ndlook

Take a 2ndlook | Different Picture, Different Story

उत्तरापथ

तक्षशिला से मगध तक यात्रा एक संकल्प की . . .

Stories from the Heartland

One Californian's life as a Midwest transplant

Vicharak1's Weblog

My thoughts and useful articles from media

%d bloggers like this: